Pages

March 6, 2016

Cap & Gown

Hi there!

I took a bit of a blogging break for the last couple of weeks. Life was pretty busy and I just didn't have time to scrap.  But even when I did have the time, I struggled so much with this layout that I wanted to scream!


Papers: Pink Paislee, October Afternoon, Echo Park, Bazzill Basics; Embellishments: 
Studio Calico Vellum, DMC floss, Ideology Tags, My Minds Eye & Teresa Collins brads, 
Crafters Workshop stencil, Distress Ink (Pumice Stone, Aged Paper)


It started with a page call for the Creative Scrapbooker Magazine two page sketch.  It was perfect for Nick's grad ceremonies, but I'm out of practice with a 2-pager and it just wasn't coming together for me. Thinking it would help, I took on another challenge from Shimelle Laine to use up some old supplies and mix it with new supplies.  I wanted to try to use the Echo Park graduation cap paper. I knew that if I didn't use it now, that it would never get used. But, the background was stark white and I'm not a fan of stark white patterned paper. So, I used some clear gesso to prime the paper, and then using the distress ink, covered the white with Pumice Stone and Aged Paper. I still couldn't get the page to work. Then Shimelle posted a monochromatic challenge. I thought maybe that would help me pull it all together, but that royal blue was hard to work with. Once I finally had my papers picked out, I could not get my embellishments to work. I just didn't seem to have anything that matched. I tried all kinds of variations of embellishments. I finally decided to just keep the whole page simple (okay. I probably just gave up), and called the page finished.

In the end, I actually like this layout. The focus is on the photos, especially the closeup shot which I love. And I got to use most of the cap paper.  Fingers crossed that my next page doesn't take this long.

Thanks for looking!

Sylvie

No comments:

Post a Comment